Friday, June 23, 2017

Day 28: Nunda, NY to Austinburg, OH

Vince made wonderful coffee for everyone in the morning. We picked up our conversation from the night before and talked and talked. At 2pm we realized we were all pretty hungry so off to Charlie the Butcher’s we went for Beef on Weck sandwiches.

What is a Beef on Weck Sandwich?  It is a roast beef sandwich on a salty kummelweck roll.  In fact, it is this roll that makes the sandwich unique.  Made only in the Buffalo-Rochester area, the kummelweck – often alternatively spelled kimmelweck – is basically a Kaiser roll topped with lots of pretzel salt and caraway seeds.  Kummelweck is simply shortened to “weck.”  The sandwich is usually served with sinus-clearing horseradish, a couple of huge kosher dill pickle slices on the side, and extra beef juice served straight from the roast.  - delicious!



I really didn’t want to leave as we still had more to say. I am not sure when I will see my kind, loving, intelligent, and funny friend again but it cannot be soon enough for me. I loved getting to know Vince better. He reminds me of Tom in many ways. Marie and Vince seem so happy with the life they have created for themselves. My heart is full!

We got on the road much later than I expected. We drove about 3 hours to Austinburg, OH and stayed in a Hampton Inn for the night.

No comments: