Thursday, June 15, 2017

Day 20: NYC: Yale & The Bronx

Today we hopped back into the Tesla and visited family at Yale and the Bronx.

Our first stop was to visit Emily, Tom’s niece, at Yale in New Haven, CT which is a 2 hour drive north of NYC. This week Emily is in a seminar studying rare manuscripts so we only had an hour at lunch time to visit. We met at the Atticus Bookstore/Cafe adjacent to the university. We have not seen Emily for a few years so it was really nice to give her a hug and see that she is doing fine. Tom and I walked around campus and downtown to the bookstore where the atmosphere screams college town. 



Then we headed to the Bronx to visit my Aunt Dolly and cousin Derek. The four of us went to dinner just a few blocks from where they live. I hadn’t seen Derek and Dolly for over 25 years. Hearing about all the family members that I don’t get to see was priceless. We talked about my mom quite a bit and that was both wonderful and sad for me. I’m glad they got to finally meet Tom, and they made him feel like part of the family.


Trip Stats:
Today: 126 mi  34.9 kWh  277 Wh/mi
TOTAL:  4348 mi  1348.9 kWh  310 Wh/mi

2 comments:

Unknown said...

So glad you made it to New Haven to see Emily!

Nan said...

Yale! and the Bronx! I'm bummed you didn't make it to Queens - my hometown. You guys are having an amazing trip. Emily is so cute. I wonder what rare manuscripts she got to see. Your Aunt Dolly is adorable. How wonderful, and yes, sad to talk about your mom. It feels like she is with you on this trip.